Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Thoughts While Shaving

I never seem to be in the right place at the right time. I'll have some gear with me, and be on a tight schedule and not be able to take advantage of opportunities. Other times I've left gear at home and run across good opportunities with time for capture. Were I an optimist (or have better sense) I'd have my stuff at hand all the time.

Take a couple weekends ago. Me and the missus whuz in Montreal. I carried a camera body and two lenses around all day taking a few grab shots along the way. I got tired of lugging an SLR and left the thing in our room while we went to eat. Along the way I came upon a pretty person of the opposite gender sitting on the steps of a church. I had a terrific profile to look at from a distance and nothing with which to record it......

Speaking of gear, the Montreal trip reminded me of how much stuff I have that I seldom use. I have a few gadgets still in their original packaging....

Chris Cox brought up some shooting opportunities earlier this summer at charitable events. Hopefully he will keep us in mind whne he runs across future opportunities.

I hope all is well.

BlogDon

1 comment:

  1. Love the post Don. I know how you feel about the timing, or lack of it. I was in Mrytle beach about a year ago. I carried aboout 40 lbs of gear with me all week. One particular day I decided to give my dear girlfriend a break of putting up with all that and off we went on a gear free bike ride. About half way through that ride a came across 5 turtles sitting perfetly in a line, with a pelican a the head of the line. It looked like some sort of animal yoga class lead by the pelican. And to add insult to injury, the light was beautiful and hitting them perfectly. Arrrgggg! I finished my "gear free ride" with a smile. When I got back I grabbed my gear and headed back. As you can imagine, the light was gone, the pelican was gone and the three or four turtles were doing there best to not be lined up for me anymore. Oh well.

    Since then I have purchased a small pocket camera. I thought that I would keep that with me at all times, and never miss an opportuity like this again. Now, if I could just remember to bring it with me!

    Keep up the great posts.

    ReplyDelete